Erika Abraham
Erika Abraham,
Experience:  Staff Internist at United States Air Force
93886366

I was dx with Sle 20 Yrs ago. I've had 4 concussions in 3 yrs

Customer Question

I was dx with Sle 20 Yrs ago. I've had 4 concussions in 3 yrs I mean knocked out. I am having problems with memory,speech, headaches and focusing. do you think all of this can increase my chances of developing demintia?
JA: Headaches are rough -- it's so hard to focus on anything other than the pain. How long have you been dealing with the headaches?
Customer: Years, I also am a RN Icu for 21 yrs. Now I just quit because memory is also a big concern.
JA: Any time with a headache is too long. But don't worry -- the MDs we work with will have some insights and suggestions for you. Other than this, how has your health been in general? Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: I have gerds, IBS, Depression, Anxiety AND CANNOT LEARN THINGS ANYMORE
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Erika Abraham replied 7 months ago.
Hello,There is new evidence that repeated head trauma may cause impaired mental function including speech and your ability to walk. The severity may depend upon how severe your symptoms were after concussion and if you had a prior history of headaches. Severe injuries to the head may contribute to Alzheimer's disease development in the future. Moreover, SLE itself can cause memory problems and confusion. A history of depression can also be related to dementia but it is unknown whether it is a causative relationship. I would definitely seek a referral to a neurologist for screening including a thyroid test and possible head imaging.