Erika Abraham
Erika Abraham,
Experience:  Staff Internist at United States Air Force

I had Endometriosis and I also had Ovarian Cancer. I have this

Customer Question

I had Endometriosis and I also had Ovarian Cancer. I have this pain through out my breastbone to my shoulders not every day but when I do if you try to hold where it hurts and you let go it hurts worst. Someone told my I may have fibromyalgia. I get tired real easy but it is hard for me to sleep at night. Also what is so strange is I have developed anxiety which I never had. I have been put on medication for the anxiety but nothing for the pain at times I feel. It starts from my breast bone to my shoulder bones. Someone told me that it could be my gallbladder. I need to know what is going on with my body to get healthy. Could someone give me advise.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Erika Abraham replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Do you have any nausea, indigestion, diarrhea or other digestive symptoms? Any weight loss, fevers, or night sweats? Do you have pains elsewhere in your body? Also any shortness of breath with activity and is your pain related to activity?
There are several possibilities for your pain. It may be something as simple as musculoskeletal pain. It is possible for your sternum or breastbone to become inflamed and cause pain especially when you press on it. In this case, try hot towels over the area three times a day 1-2 minutes at a time and tylenol or ibuprofen if you need. If you are worried about your gallbladder, a simple abdominal ultrasound would answer the question which I recommend if symptoms do not get better. Without pain in other parts of your body, fibromyalgia is less likely. However, there is a known association between fibromyalgia and anxiety and fatigue is a common symptom of fibromyalgia. There is also bowel symptoms that could be associated with fibromyalgia. Do you have headaches?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried hot towels and hot showers but believe me the pain does not go away. I have to just have to go through the pain (it hurts) then it will go away, sometimes it takes up to an hour for the pain to go away
In case you didn't see my initial response:This is reassuring for muscle pain or related to fibromyalgia unfortunately. I strongly advise you ask your doctor to order a a test called TSH to check your thyroid and something called an autoimmune panel. In the meantime, I recommend keeping your activity level moderate (such as brisk walking) and do some stretching exercises of the chest. If it is fibromyalgia, there is specific first-line medications. The good news is, some of them also treat anxiety.