Erika Abraham
Erika Abraham,
Experience:  Staff Internist at United States Air Force

My question is vanity-related, despite it being born of a genuine

Customer Question

My question is vanity-related, despite it being born of a genuine fascination with the prospect (however unlikely) of "rejuvenating" aging skin -- both as a personal interest but more so as a casual scientific interest.
It seems for years, burn patients have allegedly received topical administrations of compounds containing which are widely-referred to by the "I'm not a physician, but I play one on Google variety" as "conditioned human fibroblast media" and "Nouricel-MD".
What it arose of promising use-cases in aiding severe burns, the first glommers-on immediately tried to translate that to the "cosmeceutical" community. They refer to their topicals as having "conditioned fibroblast media" obtained from existing foreskin cell lines.
This begs the obvious question of what (if any) effect application to untraumatized skin might have or not have on relatively healthy, uncompromised skin.
I can image with burn patients who may lack an effect stratum corneum and other barrier layers who *might* benefit from increased absorption to the active populations of cells in the dermis where (and this is iffy) positive effects may be quantifiable.
My question is: (BS defenses on maximum deflector shields), whether -- even lacking the usual robust clinic trials -- does a reasonable strong hypothetical possibility exist to improve the undamaged skin which only suffers from common aging?
I have a jaundiced eye to this as the products are outrageously priced. Lacking research and verifiable, independent, repeatable results studies, what does your gut opinion tell me?
My gut tells me I am simply flushing down expensive solutes whenever I was the products off my face
The real shame is that lacking reputable studies, my scientific mind has coniption fits reying on inherently subjective, anecdotal (gasp!) self-assessments which are, to say the least, problematic for any number of reasons. Got cognitive dissonance? :)
I may well have answered my own questions! Still a reality check from a professional would help confirm my suspicions: slather what you want to make you feel better, but it's genes! genes! genes! and more genes! -- with a smattering of the most grossly deleterious environmental factors (to wit, smoking).
Thank you so much! Apologies if I babbled :)
David Donaldson ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: Medical
Expert:  Erika Abraham replied 6 months ago.
This is just my personal opinion, but the best way to protect your skin from aging I've seen is protection from sun (mainly avoiding prolonged exposure) and avoiding smoking. From my experience, much of the satisfaction with any product has to do with the state of your skin prior to treatment. We know from research, the majority of these products don't deliver on their promise. It seems that as you age and with environmental exposures, your skin loses collagen which releases "free radicals" which damages your skin. Hence why you see the most promising products will contain "antioxidants" to prevent free radicals. Ironically though, green tea for example, which has a great antioxidant effect, did not show astonishing results. In brief, there is no evidence to support the use of these products, but maintain good nutrition, good hydration and avoid environmental exposures as I already mentioned. I am confident a diet rich in vegetables, omega 3 may make a difference as we often see in older Asian and Mediterranean populations. Hope this helps.
Best of luck.