Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I have acid reflux. I plug up at night due to post nasal drip.

Customer Question

I have acid reflux. I plug up at night due to post nasal drip. I recently started sleeping on a reclining sofa and I do not plug up at night. My wife cannot believe how quietly I sleep now. But I still wake up with a dry throat, even with a humidifier less that 10 feet from me. (its a whole room humidifier) I will be driving down the road breathing normally through my nose and when I swallow it is very dry, sometimes to the point of making me choke.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There is no pain associated with it. when I slept in the bed, I would wake up choking on puke. Other times I would wake up with a super dry mouth and throat. I used nasal spray for a long time trying to stay unplugged up at night. the sofa has stopped the waking at night
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 7 months ago.
If you have not seen an ENT doctor, then you have to consider seeing one. You suffer from nasal congestion that is seriously interfering with your life style and ability to breath freely. Acid reflux has nothing to do with this. This degree of nasal congestion could be associated with a number of pathology of he nasal cavity such as chronic inflammation, polyps, deviated symptoms and chronic sinusitis, to name few. You will need thorough evaluation of your nasal cavity by an ENT doctor who is likely to order some Xrays. Most of these pathologies are treatable when identified.The chronic use of nasal decongestant does not help as you can easily become addicted to it, meaning that you can not breath without it. It also leads to the dryness in your nose and mouth as it interferes with the natural humidification of the air through the nose. See an ENT doctor
I hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need any more clarifications. When you are ready, please complete the stars rating, that's how we get compensated for our time. You may still email me with questions after you complete the rating.