Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

MY name is ***** *****. I'm 68. Four days ago I woke up

Customer Question

Hi! MY name is ***** *****. I'm 68. Four days ago I woke up with tenderness in my right wrist. It has progressed to swelling in whole hand to include fingers. The bottom of left side of Palm is red beginning at upper wrist and it seems to be spreading upward towards my fingers. The redness looks like a line just over 1 inch wide. I'm losing use of the hand. No bug bites. I don't drink. No injuries. This is extremely painful.any suggestions would be appreciated. If you think I should be seen by a doctor, what medical specialty should I see? Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The pain is getting worse and affecting my ability to do anything. I can't hold a cup. This is the first time this has happened. I don't do much typing. My fingers can't touch my Palm due to swelling.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. You need to go to any medical clinic that has internal medicine, or an emergency room that deals with infectious injuries. This sounds like cellulitis, or an infection under the skin. It can be secondary to a bug bite, as from a spider, but you could have had a trivial cut and with that get a subcutaneous infection/cellulitis. Alternatively, this could be an inflammatory arthropathy, or inflammation of the wrist joint itself. Common reasons are rheumatoid arthritis, or gout/pseudogout, if you have a history or family history of these disorders. In Gout, the joint is hot, swollen and red. But the 1 inch line of redness sounds like "blood poisoning" and if it is moving up your arm, that suggests cellulitis, which needs antibiotics. Hence the need to see a doctor now. If you can take a picture of this with your phone, please upload it and I might be able to tell you more. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. I can also call you, but JA charges extra for that premium service. Let me know if interested, or you can click on the phone option from your webpage as well. Thanks *****