Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

QUESTION}Good morning, My brother is a c5 quadrapalegic. This resulted from a car accide

Customer Question

{QUESTION}Good morning,
My brother is a c5 quadrapalegic. This resulted from a car accident 18 years ago. He has had spasms since he was injured but 2 weeks ago his stomach started to spasm. This was completely new to him. We went to urgent care yesterday because they got bad enough to effect his breathing at night. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. He was prescribed cipro for a possible uti which he seems pretty sure that it not the cause. They took blood and did an ultrasound and say it looks normal and should speak to his primary about upping his baclofen. He is quite frustrated with this because he upped it himself when the stomach spasms started. It did not help. Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Do you know which area of the stomach he is complaining?Also does he have any constipation, nausea, vomiting?Bowel obstruction is a concern here due to the decreased intestinal motility. CT scan is favored in such cases.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's it? Do I pay another 40 bucks to tell you it's his right side of his stomach?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
We continue here without any additional payment. Do you mean right lower side or upper side?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He doesn't know if it's upper or lower. The right side seems sore but it's the whole stomach that spasms. No nausea or problems with bowl treatments. The only sign is the severe stomach spasms. The only symptom is pain, discomfort and breathing difficulties when it happens in bed.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Ok that is interesting. These spasms are likely related to intestinal contractions. Right sided pain can be due to the acute appendicitis. Appendicitis causes inflammation of the surrounding intestine and peritoneal cavity. Subacute bowel obstruction is another serious possibility. Intestinal contraction increase causing other symptoms. These conditions can only be ruled out by a CT scan with contrast. Hence it is better to go to the ER with CT scan facilities. Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Doc
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Very welcome Please do rate our conversation above :)