DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I recently had a B12 level of 1030 pg/ml, however my blood

Customer Question

I recently had a B12 level of 1030 pg/ml, however my blood count and entire metabolic panel results were normal. What could this mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Are you taking any supplement or multivitamin which usually contain B12?Also high animal protein diet can increase B12 absorption in the body.Normal blood count, liver function test rule out any underlying serious condition.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified US doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.I see you had a normal blood count.The only time B12 is elevated significantly that is pathological is liver inflammation.\Rarely also, heart disease, diabetes, and myleoproliferative disease. Sometimes in AIDS as well.A high protein diet is not a cause of high B12 levels.These diseases are probably ruled out by your testing, but go over the list with your doctor. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Do you have any further question?Your results can be taken as normal.Can be repeated after 2 months. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiThe normal range of B12 is up to 900Here is a linkhttps://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003705.htm1030 can be taken as normal only if other problems are ruled out.That must happen with your doctor so that you know you are safe. Go over the list I gave you. We don't know your other labs, the results, or what labs have been done. We don't replace your doctor evaluation on the site.AS you know, you are outside of the normal range.Please click a positive hereSave time, Find Dr. Thomas by request for accurate, correct, concise and safe answers.