Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

When I was 39 years old, I played basketball with my son and

Customer Question

When I was 39 years old, I played basketball with my son and totally exhausted myself. The next day I noticed pain near my right ribs and it was difficult to breath without feeling the pain. Eventually the pain decreased. However, for 11 years I feel pain in the right rib area every day and the pain shoots to my right forearm. The pain is off and on. During the 11 years of pain, I have had surgery for a left broken wrist and the right rib and forearm pain did not cause any complications during the surgery. I'm thinking I have a rib muscle strain. What do you think I should do?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Shooting pain and radiating pain can be caused by the nerve impingement at the thoracic spine. Arthritis of the spine is a common cause. Rib cage muscle strain is also possible. But given the persistent nature, nerve related pain is more likely. Trigger point steroid injection can be very helpful in this case. Pain specialist should be consulted with. Physical therapy also may be helpful.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/