Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I want to stop drinking alcohol completely and I have gabapentin

Customer Question

I want to stop drinking alcohol completely and I have gabapentin and lorazapam.
Will that prevent seizures?
I have been drinking one to two bottles of wine daily for 3 months.
Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you now.I want you to wean the consumption instead of suddenly stopping it. Have /2 bottle for 15 days. 1/4 bottle for another 15 days and then stop. Continue the tablets, Gabapentin and Lorazepam.You will have no chances of withdrawl symptoms this way.Any questions ask me, or request to leave a positive rating.Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloNODo not do this on your own.You need a doctor to monitor you.Depending on your symptoms, it has to be done in the hospital.Not at home.And not by yourself, which can be very dangerous.We do not treat here. WE do not replace your doctor.I would not use the gabapentin at all.It is not indicated.You also needpsychologist12 step groupcorrect nutritional therapy.Withdrawal can also be dangerous without thiamine and sugar, which often must be delivered IV.You MUST work with a doctor who knows you , can examine you, and admit you if needed.Self withdrawal with meds is completely against the standard of care in the US, for good reasons, do not do it.Lorazepam also is not necessarily the med for you, and your doctor needs to decide this.And, even on meds, you can still have symptoms or even seizures, and you need a doctor monitoring for this.I have worked with this situation [in the US] for over 20 years and am profoundly experienced in this area.I am a double board certified US doctor.Find me as needed.Please click a positive rating on this page.