Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

My mother 91 has Atrial Fibrillation but refused

Customer Question

My mother 91 has Atrial Fibrillation but for years refused to take medication as prescribed by doctors and seem fine until she recently had a severe cough virus that led to her having to go to ER where they had to bring her heat rate down from 145 (put her on a heparin drip).....she was only kept over night and released, but they did prescribe her 5mg of bisoprolol fumarate (one a day) .....she has been on it for two weeks now and says it makes her feel ill and is constipated to where her life is just awful and not livable.
Can she just stop taking the bisoprolol and see if her health improves?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloNoThe medication has to be tapered, or she can get rebound hypertension.Never do anything without her do ctor.This could be very dangerous.There are other medications for a fib that the doctor can change her to.But do not just stop this one. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.
Hello .. I am Dr. Mubarak, Board-certified US cardiologist with over 20 years experienceYou mom needs to be checked by her doctor soon. Her symptoms might not be related to this medication. In the process of his evaluation, he might consider changing it to a different one to eliminate the possibility that it is drug-related. This medication is intended to control her heart rate and her doctor should be the one to do it. It can safely changed (by him) without tapering. Rebound hypertension here is not expected as it was not initiated for high blood pressure and she has only been on it for 2-3 weeks, very short time. Best of luck