Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Ear issues with head cold and flying. I have a bad head cold

Customer Question

Ear issues with head cold and flying. I have a bad head cold and flew two days ago.ears totally plugged for about 24 hours .
The cleared out so I could hear.Flew again next day and ears re plugged upon descent and after another 30 hours or so ears won't clear to the of hearing loss 50 percent. If I place my head down below waist their is some relief and clear some what but when I stand up can't hear again. I have to fly home day after tomorrow and am worried about damage to ears after another flight. I am on antibiotic for another issue (levofloxcin). Anything I can do to clear ears and should I be concerned ?
Very claustrophobic feeling.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 months ago.
Hi there ...Thank you for the question ...This seems to be a case of ear wax , as you have off/on ear issue with ear plugging this happens often with ear wax , it would be ideal for you to avoid persistent deep ear cleaning , and nothing will go wrong while on flying .One thing that you have to do is to consult ENT dr for ear cleaning .Continue antibiotic as it will also help you for ear issue .Regards ***** ***** luck .Please leave positive feedback for me .Thanks .
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloYou need the ear examined now.Not waiting for ENT.It is not clear that you should avoid cleaning.You need an exam to see what the problem actually is.It might be infection [levo not covering], it could be eustachean tube dysfunction.Hearing loss is considered an emergency and can be permanent if correct treatment is not done.Go to the ER now.I am a double board certified US doctor.Save time and find me by request in medical day. Use my request link.Please click a positive rating on this post.Come back as needed.