Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Is amputation of the lower leg an option 98 year old

Customer Question

Is amputation of the lower leg an option for a 98 year old women with dry gangrene?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Probably not if she does not have good quality of life.The stress of surgery itself can be detrimental.On the other hand, if she does have good quality of life, then amputation will probably save any spread of infection.So it depends on patient's functional status.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has dementia and very poor circulation in that leg. Can she survive the amputation?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Ok in that case, should be avoided.No need to subject her to such stress.Best wishes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How long can she live like that, the gangrene has just about covered her foot?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Can be 2-3 weeks to months.But hard to predict.