Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I had 35 radiation treatments 20 years ago cell

Customer Question

I had 35 radiation treatments 20 years ago for squamous cell cancer of the head and neck. The target area was my left side of head.
Now the ear had been hurting and Dr. said that a bone in my ear has an infection and I have been taking drops for cure. Not totally working.
I have surgery scheduled for a hip replacement. I had all of the tests and my blood evidently did not show any infection. Any problems here on going forward with operation?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloIf there is a remaining infection, and if the operation is elective, you should wait until the infection is cleared.You might need oral antibiotics to do this.Clarify this with the doctor and the surgeon.OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.No there should not be any problem.The ear problem is likely due to the osteonecrosis of the bone --no infection there.Osteonecrosis is caused by the lack of blood supply to the bone.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.