Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I'm scheduled to have further blood tests as my hgl count

Customer Question

I'm scheduled to have further blood tests as my hgl count was 12.9 and at my last medical was 13.2 also quite low 5 years ago. so not a huge difference and at that medical everything was OK . could it be that my physiology is such that I just have a naturally lower number.. am fit and run marathons with no problems.. obv the test will show if anything is untoward however..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.That is possible. However iron deficiency, vitamin B12 and folate deficiency should be ruled out first. Colonoscopy and upper GI endoscopy are also recommended to rule out any possible bleeding from GI tract. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes those b12/iron and folate have all been tested as normal as already.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Ok that is reassuring. Endoscopies are still require for unexplained anemia.