Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have written a living will that states that if I have a serious

Customer Question

I have written a living will that states that if I have a serious illness such as cancer or heart disease, I do not want surgery, chemo or radiation and I want to be at home and not hospitalized. are these unusual requests or do you see this in your practice?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.
HelloYes, this is unusual, as it is too broad.For example, what if it is a readily curable cancer, many are now.What if you can live another 20 years with minimal chemo?What if a stent in the heart [technically surgery], can save your life and give you a long life?I suggest you do two things:Both relate to not trying to write this on your own.a. sit down with your doctor and discuss all the ins and outs of care. You are only 66.b. then have a lawyer draft the will for you. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.