Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am embarrassed to admit I have a blister around my rectum

Customer Question

I am embarrassed to admit I have a blister around my rectum and I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in the morning. I respect for my dr and wonder if I should keep the appointment as I have never been diagnosed with herpes but a self diagnosis makes me think it could be. I have taken the medicine but my gut says I should reschedule to save the humiliation.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: no and I thank you.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. It is true that herpes is a common cause of a blister around the anus. And if the blister recurs in this location intermittently, that would very likely be herpes. As for whether you should reschedule, that is a personal decision. There is not reason to avoid doing the colonoscopy from the perspective of the doctor, as there is no risk of transmission of herpes to the doctor, since the doctor will be wearing protective equipment, such as gloves. There also is no risk of transmission of herpes via the colonoscope, since it is sterilized between patients. The most common reason for consideration of rescheduling the colonoscopy would be if there is pain or discomfort associated with the blister, as the introduction of the colonoscope may exacerbate the pain or discomfort. As for embarrassment, there is no reason for embarrassment, as doctors regularly see patients with a wide variety of infections. And if you want to receive a definitive diagnosis and prescription for an antiviral medicine, a visit to the doctor is the usual method by which this is done. So, if there is pain or discomfort associated with the blister, it would be reasonable to reschedule the procedure. If you are significantly embarrassed, it would be OK to reschedule, but doctors would usually encourage people to seek proper medical care. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future question, I can be reached through my profile at