Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My name is ***** ***** years ago, I went to Delhi India and

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** years ago, I went to Delhi India and got a terrible stomach bug. I had constant bright yellow excessively watery diahhorea, felt like I had something cramping and scratching the insides of my stomach. I couldn't keep anything in for 7 days. I travelled back to Australia and went to the doctor, had stool tests and they lost the results.
In the meantime, I was given a dose of flagyl and it curbed the diahhorea but my digestive system never seemed to heal properly, I was given another dose of antibiotics. Alternating diahhorea and constipation remained. Doctors recommended I go on a paleo diet for 4 weeks an take lots of probiotics and said it was likely to take 6 months to a year. I gradually was putting on weight.
On top of that, I've always been a highly motivated, energised and active individual but ended up getting so fatigued and stopped being interested in day to day tasks. I felt like I was going crazy and went back to the doctor who put me on sertraline antidepressants. They seemed to make a big difference to my mental health but I am still nowhere near as active and energetic as I used to be.
For the last few months, my appetite has been suppressed. If I do get hungry, I crave fatty, salty foods. I have been a fitness instructor so I know what healthy eating looks like and would typically love to cook but have no interest and healthy options and protein isn't very appealing.
So, I went to a nutritionist thinking it could be lactose, wheat etc but there seems to be no correlation with food. She recommended that I have more tests to see if I still have a parasite.
The test results have come back and shown up blastocysts hominis. My doctor tells me it is a non specific pathogen and most healthy people have it, that its controversial and unlikely to be the cause. She recommended a dose of nitazoxanide to help rule it our but that isn't available in Australia so I now have no treatment available.
I feel like I have had enough given its been two years, I can sleep for 10 hours and still feel tired, I have alternating constipation and diahhorea, very heavy stools and it takes me ages to recover at the gym. I havent been to the bathroom normally for 2 years.
Further, I am putting on weight at a rate of knots - I am the heaviest I've ever been and I don't feel I am eating more than usual, despite my cravings. I am not sure if it is the antidepressants or the bugs but I dont fit into any of my clothes and it gets worse day by day.
Can you provide any advice. Its been two years and I just want to feel normal again.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please enumerate all the blood tests that you have had done?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards