DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I've taken only two hydrocodones in the past week. Will they

Customer Question

I've taken only two hydrocodones in the past week. Will they show up on a hair follicle drug test? The last time I took any hydrocodones before that was a couple of weeks ago and was the same, only about 2-3 pills within a couple of day time span?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Just need to know if 2-3 hydrocodones within a 2 week time span is enough to fail a hair follicle drug test.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.
Yes, while hydrocodones will not be detected in a urine test 24 hours after it's injection, it can be detected in the hair follicles test months after it's usage, particularly if the person is a habitual user.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not a habitual user. I only took it because I had some severe knee pain. Also I know hydrocodone is an opioid, does that mean it will test positive for opiates? Most employers screen for the 5 most used street drugs which are marijuana, cocaine, pcp, opiates and amphetamines. Would the hydrocodones be detected as an opiate such as codeine or morphine.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding. It was a general comment and did not imply that your are a habitual user. And, yes, Hydrocodones and opioid and therefore it will test as opioid. They are structurally similar to morphine
Correction: Hydrocodones and morphine are opiates and are structurally identical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about in a urine drug screen? Would two hydrocodones likely be gone from the system after 4-5 days?
No, the urine will be negative after 4-5 days.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI have a different answer for youIf these are the standard panel tests, the synthetic opioids will not show up.Only if there is some other positive and a GC/MS is done.I am a double board certified US doctor.Find me anytime in medical for correct answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So basically if it's the standard 5 panel drug test that the majority of employers use, hydrocodone will not show up whether it's a hair or urine test? And I'll add it's very infrequent use of hydrocodone also. Maybe 2-3 pills at most, once every couple of weeks, sometimes a month in between uses. Definetley not a 8 pill a day everyday situation.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
No.It will not show up. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
The urine test will be negative for hydrocodones 4-5 days after injection. However the hair follicles will be detectable for about 90 days. NOTE: it takes about 10 days after usage for the drug to be detected in the hair follicles. Therefore, the later will be negative if used few days after the drug is taken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My last dose was one 5mg hydrocodone on thursday evening, and two 5 mg hydrocodones on friday, one am and one pm. Today is Tuesday. Would they show up in a urine test?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloOn standard panels, Hydrocodone dose not show up.That is per DOT information.\For example, here is a 5 panel profileAmphetamines (Methamphetamine, Ecstasy, MDMA and MDA), Cocaine, Opiates (Codeine, Morphine, and Heroin), PCP & Marijuana.Hydrocodone does not degrade to codeine or morphine.This is true for the 10 panel test as well. It does not matter if you are talking about urine, hair or blood.These are used on employment testing in the US.Only a custom test, for say, a probation office, might be looking for hydrocodone.I am a double board certified US doctor.Save time, find me by request and insist on Dr. Thomas for correct, fast, and comprehensive up to date answers.dy, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.