Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

My name is ***** ***** and have had "chubby knees" for

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** and have had "chubby knees" for most of my adult life. I have yo yoed with my weight. My knees r so large in comparison w rest of my body, my slacks hug my knees and I cannot wear dresses because of the exaggeration of fat protruding and from the back the ugly flap that hangs. It seems to be getting worse. Is there a difference between lipodema and lipedema? Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My thighs are full of cellulite but not concerned about them as they can be controlled with spanx. I have absolutely no symptoms everyone else complains about and the only pics of knees that I've seen that look like mine r on extremely morbid people. I am overweight but like I said everything fits until it comes to my thighs and then the fabric hugs. I am not trying to wear slim slacks either
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I guess you are asking about lipoma and Lymhedema.Lymphedema is due to the lymphatic accumulation which feels like brawny swelling.Lipoma refers to fatty accumulation and cyst formation.In your case, this is likely lipoma.They can be removed surgically or by liposuction.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello dr, I am confused. Are the terms lipodema and lipedema or lipedema used interchangeably? According to what I've read on the net some answers r that it is considered lymphatic issues. Should I be seeing an endocrinologist or a plastic surgeon?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Lipodema and lipedema are interchangeable terms.You should see a plastic surgeon to remove the fat tissues.Best wishes,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dr. BASE answered my questions but didn't tell me anything I didn't already know with my own research. I realize that with this venue without a ton of more knowledge about the total health history of the patient questions r answered in a general manner probably because of possible liability, hence, the disclaimer.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
You can reply here if you have any follow up question on this topic.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Very welcome