Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.

Not mixing alcohol with hydrocodon.....trying to understand

Customer Question

Not mixing alcohol with hydrocodon.....trying to understand why 2 glasses of wine couldn't be as affective and less addictive than hydrocodon for pain control
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I've had an injury and have been prescribed hydrocodon w/Tylenol but it causes constipation an
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: why wouldn't 2 glasses of wine be as effective w/o side affects as well as a sleep aid?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
hello welcome to JA. Hydrocodone is an opiate and effects the opiate system of the brain. The addiction comes from changes in receptors on nerve cells. It is a physiological addiction and is quite different than the addiction to alcohol. So it is like comparing apples and oranges, they are both round, but that is about it. Alcohol is the worst sleep aid you can use, it actually disrupts sleep and causes rebound, How else can I help? Do you have questions? Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Because I have more surgeries next week I'm concerned about how long it actually takes to acquire an addiction to pain pills.
Prescribed one every 4-6 hours along with trazadone for sleep isn't that overkill and if not, how long is that safe?
I wrote you on your other posting as well. You do not attain an addiction if you are treating pain. It is just when the pain runs its course, and you continue to take opiates for reinforcement (habit mixed with euphoria) that it becomes an addiction, and you establish a craving response. So no, if you need that much to cover your pain, it is not a risk for addiction. But if the pain is gone and you continue, then yes, within a short period of a week or so you can be first psychologically, then physiologically addicted. I hope that helps Dr frank