Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am prediabetic, every morning, i wake up and my sugars are

Customer Question

i am prediabetic, every morning, i wake up and my sugars are averaging 105,etc. I started taking niacin therapy and noticed that when i take this, my sugars drop to 70s within an hour after I eat. I read that niacin can increase sugars. what can cause this to
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidNiacin is B3 vitaminhow much are you taking?actually B3 is good for you and can help decrease risks for skin cancer 20% if you are at high risks for skin cancer.niacin can also bring down cholesterol levels.that is good your blood sugar levels are lower now after you eat. it doesn't seem like it is increasing sugar levels for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am taking 500 mg, the quick release flush style. I am wanting to know how can niacin do this to my pancreas or insulin resistance. I thought niacin just dilates blood vessels.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
we don't know how it might workhttp://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Niacin-could-be-diabetes-treatmentis an article about how it could possibly help a bit with diabetes