Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I AM 65 YEARS OLD I HAVE DIABETES WHICH RIGHT NOW MY A1C IS

Customer Question

I AM 65 YEARS OLD I HAVE DIABETES WHICH RIGHT NOW MY A1C IS 9. I HAD SHINGLES IN NOVEMBER, THE MEDICINE MADE MY BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL RISE AND HAS NOT COME DOWN. SO I AM GOING ON INSULIN. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE GASTRIC BYPASS, WHAT ARE THE UPS & DOWNS FOR THIS SURGERY?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
This is Dr. davidthe ups for a gastric bipass is that it could help you eat less and loose weight which could help you reverse your diabetes symptoms.the down sides of surgery is that it is surgery and there are small risks for surgery including bleeding and infection and recovery from surgery and you have a sent in your heart and you could have some heart weakness and this can increase risks in surgery.have you consulted with a barbaric surgeon to see if you would be able to tolerate the surgery for stomach bipass to help you loose weight?