Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

My thyroid tests always come out normal but I have a feeling

Customer Question

My thyroid tests always come out normal but I have a feeling it is a borderline normal and I have extremely dry skin and other symptoms of pain and fibromyalgia heart palpitations and nothing wrong with my heart. I had a dermatologist that suggested I have my thyroid checked because my skin is so extremely dry I have studied side effects of thyroid problem and that there are tests that can tell whether the thyroxine is getting to your cells or not but doctors do not perform those tests unless they are instructed to do so I have never been able to convince them to provide me with more than just the regular tests which is just always on the borderline of normal. Thyroid problems run in the females in my maternal family line what should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloYou have to check the exact TSH value"normal" is considered to be up to 4.5 by most doctors.HOwever, if you are over 2.5, according to new information, this can be hypothyroid.So, if this is the case, take that value and see an up to date endocrinologist. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 6 months ago.
Generally we try to get the TSH around 1 these days.If you are not close to this value, your medicine should be adjusted to try and reach that.We would also need your T3 and T4 levels.Let me know what they are