Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My name is ***** ***** i have tonsillitis and im seeing my

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have tonsillitis and im seeing my boyfriend on monday and have been taking my medication since yesterday. Will it be contagious if he was to kiss me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well i first started off with fever, vomiting, head ache really bad ear aches and sore throat this all happened on Thursday
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have paid
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 8 months ago.
HelloIf you have strep tonsillitis, you should wait a week, at least. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They said that it was caused from bacteria on my tonsils and they gave me amoxycillin
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.
This is not necessaryif you have been on antibiotics for 24 hours you are fine24 hours and you are goodhttp://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tc/strep-throat-treatment-overview
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So if ive been on antibiotics for 24hours does that mean it's not contagious?
HelloThis is the original expert.That figure is quoted by sources such as web MD and wickipedia and other popular sites.However, I am a clinician of over 20 years experience, and antibiotics do not always work that quickly.You need to make sure you are symptom free.It takes about 6 doses [a few days] of antibiotics to make sure your treatment is at a steady state.Symptoms often abate starting at about 48 hours.Some strains are resistant to antibiotics, in which case this would not happen.Some strep avoid antibioticshttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26866223Some infections can have a peritonsilar abscess or other problems that delay resolution.For this reasons, I tell my patients to wait up to 7 days, depending on their symptoms, before intimate oral contact. Make sure you wait at least a few days and that your symptoms are clearly improving.Be safe, not sorry. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
you are good 24 hours after starting antibiotics. yes