Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

There. I have a pain on the left side of my stomach when

Customer Question

Hi there. I have a pain on the left side of my stomach when I cough.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The pain is only there when I cough. it is approx a palm space from my belly button and just above my trouser line. I am a male 36 fairly good health. Its a strange pain, feels like something pushing out if that makes sense? I am around 6foot 95KG in relatively good health. I am around 25% body fat (trying to loose it that's how I know lol) I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about 6 months ago but changed diet to manage it. I smoke about 1 a day. anything else you need to know ??
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidwhen you cough, you can increase your intra-thoracic and intra-abdominal pressure.this can sometimes push out abdominal or ventral herniasa hiatal hernia can be caused when you have increased intra-abdominal pressure and this can push your stomach up through your diaphram and up into your chestyou should see a doctor and get your abdomen examined to be checked for abdominal should work on quitting smoking as well and also talk to your doctor about getting help to quit smoking.let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloI have a different answer for you.Is this above or below the navel.If above, the possibilities are ulcer, gallbladder disease, pancreatitis, and a colon problem.If below, colon problem, bladder problem, problem with the ureter [stone].Small bowel problems can cause problems both above and below and at the navel level.Muscular problems can do it.This is not typical of a hiatal hernia causing this pain.A ventral hernia would have a bulge. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.