Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am a single, 64-year old female and live alone. I am retired

Customer Question

I am a single, 64-year old female and live alone. I am retired and my life was good until several months ago. I just one day stopped wanting to do anything. My sinuses bother me, I have chronic bronchitis (I don't smoke), my blood pressure is excellent, I am not sick to my stomach and don't have any other problems (as if those weren't enough!). I was so very active before and enjoyed my life. I cannot think of any life event that suddenly made me stop everything, except the absence of Adderall! It was prescribed by my GP for ADD. My life suddenly became what I could only describe as "normal" compared to the problems I had all my life. Now, I can't even get out of jury duty by saying I HAVE ADD AND CANNOT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THESE THINGS YOU ARE TELLING ME!, so I make stuff up and end up being the first one excused just because I am 'biased' or something. Sheesh.
I am really offended at the term "drug seeking". Patients would NOT be drug seekers if their doctors would take better care to get their scripts to them in a timely manner.
I believe that since I am a "cash patient", I am not treated with the same care as insured patients. Doctors don’t seem to want to go beyond what they can actually do for me, and end up referring me to specialists. When I look for a new doctor, I am always given appointments with P.A.'s (I am a cash patient, why waste the doctor's time!). When I ask the office if I can see a doctor, they give me appointments months away! I do not want to see P.A.'s.
I have been to three internists with symptoms of chronic fatigue, ADD, depression and a general attitude of I DO NOT GIVE A RATS ASS anymore! Forget the antidepressants, I have been on them and off of them and I AM NOT DEPRESSED! These are REAL illnesses, NOT made up in my head!
I have several physical issues that may all be related and I cannot afford to go from one specialist to another, which leads me to ask:
WHY can't a family practice physician or internist treat me for ADD, or anything else, without referring me to psychiatrists, neurologists, allergists, gastroenterologists,m\ ETC AD INFINITUM? My answer to myself is because I am not important enough for them to deal with since I don't have insurance! Are doctors so imprisoned by the insurance companies that they cannot practice medicine? I THINK SO!
If you managed to get thru all this rant, tell me your thoughts and maybe HELP ME..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.
any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
None.
Thanks for this questionI'm very sorry you are being treated this way.How can I help?
Please don't forget to look at the rating scale for me.I am credited for work only when you rate positiveIf you have more questions, just reply :)