Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

QUESTION}what can i take dry persistent none productive cough

Customer Question

{QUESTION}what can i take for a dry persistent none productive cough
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Over the counter a start would be a product such as Robitussin DM... that has 2 ingredients > guafenesin in case you have thick mucus that needs to clear ( quite harmless if not) and dextromethorphan which is a mild cough suppresant( I would describe it as taking the edge off the cough) If you have ongoing cough beyond 10 days or it is getting worse or you develop fever >> these are signs that you may benefit from medical evaluation..If also you have a cough that keeps you from sleeping...If you have shortness of breath or wheezing then even more strongly you would be advised to seek medical attention..If this is a mere cold and most short term coughs are just that then it is OK to treat symptomatically... We also do not wish to over-treat a mild viral illness that runs a harmless short course..I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best regards,Anthony Bray MD