DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My 18 year old son has been doing a form of Marijuana

Customer Question

Hello, My 18 year old son has been doing a form of Marijuana commonly known as "Dabbing" It is concentrated THC from the plant... He has stopped and has a good bit of anxiety. He has 2 Questions. How long will his Lethargy and Anxiety last? And, more importantly he needs to have somebody ease his mind about the long term effects of using. Remember, he has only used for about 6 months. They use Butane to melt the THC but it is 3 times concentrated so it is pretty safe. The whole butane thing has got him extremely anxious. I need to have you ease his mind a little. He thinks he is going to get Cancer from just the 6 months of use. I think his anxiety has a lot to do with stopping in the last week. Thank you so much for your attention in this matter
Regards
Jeff Leingang
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 11 months ago.
HelloThe probability is that , if is anxiety is from not having marajuana, it will be out of his system in three months.I see no increased risk of cancer for this limited use of butane.If he was self medicating for anxiety, then his anxiety is going to need to be treated. In fact, treating it would be good in either case.Long term effects of THC are not established well in terms of negative problems, other than the possibility of cognitive dysfunction on certain tests, but this appears to reverse with non use, over time. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.