DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I'm trying to lower my potassium, so I'm looking natural

Customer Question

I'm trying to lower my potassium, so I'm looking for a natural anti inflammatory. I workout a lot. Have a lot of aches and pains, and I wonder if curcumin would help. I know turmeric is high in potassium but what about extracted capsules of curcumin?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Curcumin has much less potassium than turmeric powder itself.It can be taken even in kidney disease to help with the inflammation.Besides curcumin, garlic has low potassium content and also prevents its absorption.Garlic is also good anti inflammatory.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 9 months ago.
HelloDo not take anything without consulting your doctor.Do NOT take cucurmin and garlic together.Both can have anti coagulant effects, so you might cause bleeding.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22531131There is no evidence that the amount of potassium in food anti inflammatory substances affect the kidneys or kidney disease. In addition, fish oil is highly anti inflammatory and is desirable in some forms of kidney disease.Another reason you need supervision to get optimal, evidence based nutritional care.Ginger, garlic, dark chocolate, and many veggies are naturally anti inflammatory diet. In fact, more effective than relying on any magic pill/supplement Idea is an anti inflammatory diet, which is also a kidney protective and kidney healing diet.The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like thisleafy greensgreen veggiesother veggieswhole fruit, beans and peasWhole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refinedSeeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.A little tofu or tempeh dailyA little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurtThe soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet. If you insist on using supplements, find a doctor board certified in this area as I am, which is why I though I would answer your question with a different answer.Find me anytime in medical for fast , safe and comprehensive answers.Dr. Thomas only.Please click a positive rating.