Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Last two weeks I had been very constipated put on Colace

Customer Question

For the last two weeks I had been very constipated put on Colace and miralax had a KUB flat and upright showed constipation. I had a CT scan a few months ago at the hospital. All was ok. This weekend and this week I have pain in lower abdominal pain on left side and right flank pain almost directly to the right of belly button but way over under my ribs on right side. Pain is not all the time. Was checked for UTI and it was clear. Went to urgent care yesterday and doctor pushed all across my lower back on pressure points and it hurt bad. He said he thought my back was causing lower abdominal pain ( if I push on left and sometimes right side of abdomen) it is sore all the way down to my vagina area. I have a history of diverticulitis and although now my back feels like it is going to go out ( I have flare ups once a year with lower back pain) I don't know whether is really my back causing these pains or the beginning of diverticulitis. Can lower back problems cause these types of pain.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need a response as quick as possible as I DON'T want to make an unwarranted ER visit.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I think this is acute diverticulitis related pain.Nerve compression at the lower back should have improved with Ibuprofen or nsaids.Hence this is likely more serious than thought.You should go to the ER for a repeat CT scan.You will also need a colonoscopy at later stage for further evaluation.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't taken any ibuprofen or anything for back pain
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Ok --you can try that and check your initial response within an hour.If no improvement, then this warrants further evaluation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am on Cymbalta and lamictal is it ok to take ibuprofen with these two medicines
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
Yes you can take ibuprofen with them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How much ibuprofen should I take 400mg 600 mg ???
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.
600 mg every 8 hours is a standard dose.Should be taken with food.