Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I have been having wheezing when I sleep on my left side. I

Customer Question

I have been having wheezing when I sleep on my left side. I have never had this before I fine during the day and it comes and goes I have been using Listerine for my throat which helped stop the wheezing but today I woke up and the wheezing had come with me coughting up green mucus.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: I have been trying to see if I have food allergies I think maybe milk which I started drink again yesterday. I know it's something to do with my left lung and throat.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 8 months ago.
Hello. welcome to JA. How old are you? Is it possible you are aspirating? (getting stomach contents into your left lung by having a leaky lower esophageal sphincter, symptoms of GERD). the green mucus suggests large bronchial inflammation (bronchitis) which can be chemically mediated (from stomach contents) or infection (viral with or w/o superimposed bacterial infection). Do you have a fever? Any sinus symptoms? Get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have no fever or systems that I'm even sick at all..I eat fine and exercise fine every day I have no breathing problems during the day and I would not have even know that something is wrong except for wheezing that came back after being gone for two days. I also think also got something going on with the bottom of my throat. This all started 3 weeks ago and did have the flu this year which is very rare for me.
Given that information, One suggestion would be this is some type of an allergic reaction resultant from the flu bug. You can have a prolonged lymphocytosis, or increase in your lymphocytes from having had the flu, and with that, a histamine reaction which causes wheezing, and dependent edema in the lung, so if you lay with your left side down, you get fluid build up in that lung. You can combat this with an anti-histamine, like allegra-D or claritin, which you take at night prior to bed. Alternatively, you can prop your head up a bit on two pillows to sleep, as the gravitational effect may keep fluid, and the wheezing out of your lungs. I hope that helps. Please get back to me if you have questions and I will reply, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks Dr Frank
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will stop drinking milk again and keep using Listerine for my throat..I have used Nyquil and it works right away but stop because I was using only for the wheezing. Maybe I should take a zpack?
Azithromycin is used if you feel you are getting worse, the mucus is really green and thick, and there is reason to believe you have a bacterial overgrowth problem. Having a fever that is prolonged, or a serious cough to go with bronchitis suggests brochiectasis, or a purulent condition in the bronchi that needs antibiotics. I don't think you are there yet by your description, and would stay with supportive, conservative measures. It could be a milk allergy/lactose intolerance if you have dealt with that in the past. So unless I am wrong with my assumptions I would hold off on the Z pack for now. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did cough green stuff this morning not a lot but I can tell it's my left lung.
Aside from the morning phlegm, which is part of that nocturnal problem, unless you have cough through the day, and are coughing up green mucus during the day, I would not suggest azithromycin as your own body is controlling the build up well. You are not losing this battle, and that is where you need antibiotics. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok..The wheezing freaks me out..ūüĎć
Hi Yes, the wheezing suggest bronchospasm, a histamine response causing the large airways to tighten, restricting air flow. You can use medications specifically for that, like ventolin, but really in your case without a history of restrictive airway disease (?) like asthsma, you are better using an antihistamine, or if you need a short acting inhalation steroid that can now be purchased over the counter, like Flonase. I hope that answers your questions, please get back to me if you need more information, and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need to stop the wheezing..I have never had this before and I'm 52 years old and in good shape and never smoked.. I will stop the milk today and continue with the Listerine for my throat but this must stop. I will contact you tomorrow morning about my condition.
ok. Dr Frank