Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I was diagnosed with ACCUTE PANCREATIS lipase LEVEL 428...

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with ACCUTE PANCREATIS lipase LEVEL 428... NOT in hospital , weak, dizzy moderate pain.. Seem to get no information from my Dr.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.When were you diagnosed with acute pancreatitis?Were you admitted in the hospital following the diagnosis?Where exactly is the pain right now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
March 30 I went to Er . but not admitted upper abdomen pain, back on right side. dizzy weak naucious
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had another blood test next day Lipase 428
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the reply.This was a very recent diagnosis. Although pancreatitis is treated conservatively but a hospital admission is mandatory. Serial CT scans are required, intake and output is monitored and nutrition is given intravenously and the gut given rest for the first few days by avoiding food intake by mouth. If you have pain in the centre of the upper abdomen which is going through to the back and nausea, there is a possibility that the pancreatitis has not settled. I would advise that you go to the ER or the Urgent Care and have this addressed. A CT scan to see the pancreas and grade the pancreatitis is warranted along with pain killers, intake output monitoring and IV hydration and nutrition.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.
HelloThis is not necessarily pancreatitis.Lipase is not the typical elevation. It would be higher.But, lipase alone can not be used to gage severity.Amylase would also be elevated.And there are other causes.In addition, mild pancreatitis is usually from medication effects.If you have gallbladder problems, kidney disease, these could cause it.An ulcer could cause this elevation.I am worried this is more likely a kidney stone with the location of the pain.Any of these can be serious however. I suggest you cal your doctor FIRST unless symptoms have increased.I would not go back to the same ER, as they will not admit you, and you can not direct them in testing.Your doctor needs to call and arrange an admission.If you don't have a doctor, go to another ER, or urgent care, with this list of possibilities.We would never do serial CT scans for this in the use. Unless you were in dire trouble.If it is pancreatitis, it should be managed very closely by a doctor. Your doctor should admit you to avoid further delays, which will happen if you go to the ER, urgent care etc.I am a double board certified US doctor.find me anytime. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.