khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

I just had my BNP come back 1st time at 159 from my

Customer Question

I just had my BNP come back for the 1st time at 159 from my cardio dr. She told me no worries since the stress echo looks fine. My mom has CHF and it has me a bbit freaked out right now wince I googled it should not be over a 100. Age 53 215 lbs 5'3' She said it's not a big deal - but according to WED MD it is? Can you help
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.
How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Any symptoms for the doctor's visit? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I did put that in my original email. I am 5 foot three. 215 pounds. My mother has CHF. I just completed my stress echo and went all the way and they said it looked fine. This is the first time it is over 100 for my BNP. My cardiologist told me not to worry about it but when I Google it it says it should not be over hundred and then I have heart failure. It has me freaked out. I am on blood pressure medicine HCTZ and enspril and 81 aspirin. My other concern is that my platelet count is always high. It always runs around 430 but she also told me is not a concern. I am a type a anxious person and this has me a bit freaked out. I have been seeing her for 15 years but I don't know if I should get another opinion. Obviously I need to work on my weight
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You get my You get my response?
Most patients with HF (heart failure) who have shortness of breath have plasma BNP values above 400 pg/mL, while values below 100 pg/mL have a very high negative predictive value for HF as a cause of dyspnea. In the range between 100 and 400 pg/mL, plasma BNP concentrations are not very sensitive or specific for detecting or excluding HF. Since your stress echo looks fine, you should not worry about it. If you lose weight, your high blood pressure would be gone, which makes your heart not damaged.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. This has me scared to death. I will definitely work on my weight. I'm busy taking care of everybody else including my parents and always put myself last. Thank you for your time
You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Take care.