Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University

How do I get rid of ear blockage as a result of chest cold.

Customer Question

how do I get rid of ear blockage as a result of chest cold. I have tried just about everything. I have no congestion in my chest or nasal area. I just have a blockage in my left ear.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Diego, experienced Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concerns. The problem you have is very common after an upper respiratory infection. The ears, nose and throat are all connected by a conduct. When you have a problem that affect your respiratory system, sometimes your ears can feel block. The best treatment is to continue the antihistamine plus fluids. In case the ear blockage last more than 5 days you should see you primary care. Your doctor can prescribed other medications like steroids. If you have fevers or pain you should go to the ER or PCP. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had this for about 6 days. It is ringing. I wonder too if this is dangerous?
If it's ringing this could be a middle ear inflammation. In that case you should go to your PCP to get a direct inspection of your ear. He will prescribe and treat the problem according to the findings. This is not dangerous if is treated on time. For now you can take tylenol or ibuprofen until you see your doctor.