Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had similar problems before and even in the same area,

Customer Question

I have had similar problems before and even in the same area, but this is much larger and much harder to deal with.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a large boil. Most of the time it is only 1-2 centimeters in diameter. This one is now 2 inches in diameter and the top (not the head) is a deep purple.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you today.Where is this boil located?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back. The usual approach to a boil would be drainage and antibiotics, particularly if home interventions are not effective. However, the location of the boil would also guide how it should be managed. Recurrent boils in the same location could be because of a skin structure, such as a sebaceous cyst. However, there are other structures that may present as recurrent boils, such as a pilonidal cyst. Recurrent infections of these structures will usually require removal of the structure, but the removal of a skin structure would be easier than many other structures. In either situation, though, the first issue is getting control of the infection of the boil, and would require drainage and antibiotics. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.