Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

My husband has stopped dialysis. It has been 20 days since

Customer Question

My husband has stopped dialysis. It has been 20 days since the last dialysis session and Hospice is involved. He still and has always still produced urine. (He has a Urostomy) and makes about
2000 ml
eqch day. What is going on? What is the time frameof his passing?
Hospice care givers say 10-20 days is normal? Could this go on for months?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I'm sorry that you are dealing with this difficult situation. To be on dialysis he would be expected to be in end stage renal disease. Some processes of kidney disease may shut down kidney function but recover later to an extent. Even if he produces urine it would not necessarily mean that his kidneys were functioning properly to remove toxic substances and control electrolytes. It would depend on his extent of renal function. If he has climbing BUN and creatinine then he may lapse into a coma. it might be possible that he could have had an injury to kidneys from which he may had had some recovery as another potential scenario. Most patients requiring dialysis but stopping it would pass within about a week or so. His situation MIGHT warrant discussion with his nephrologist I think. A follow up blood test to check his status would seem reasonable to me. His wishes with regard to care should of course be honored.I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD