Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

The ultrasound showed a diffusely dilated common bile duct

Customer Question

The ultrasound showed a diffusely dilated common bile duct which may be a variant due to previous cholecystectomy. Most of the pancreas was normal but the tail wasn't visualized. no mass or stones were seen. No pain only an elevated lipase test. Doc is recommending an ERCP. I think the u/s was inferiorly done. The common duct is not well seen in the region of the pancreas. Your thoughts. I'm a healthy, active, 125# ***** eater. Social alcohol.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidif you think the ultrasound was inferiorly done, you can ask for that to be repeated.or you can have an MRCP (Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography) with MRI scan of the pancreas to better look at the pancreas and dilated dilated common bile duct.the MRCP might be able to see better than the ultrasound and be less invasive than an ERCP .