Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My thumb pops when I bend and unbend. it hurts. it started

Customer Question

my thumb pops when I bend and unbend. it hurts. it started suddenly over a week ago. what should I do?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: it pops when I try to straighten it out, or bend it back-and-forth. I thought it would go away, but it continues.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.This is known as a trigger thumb. It happens as a result of the inflammation of the synovial sheath Flexor pollicis longus tendon of the thumb. This causes a nodule to form on the sheath and the nodule gets stuck in the A1 pulley of the thumb. The first and foremost thing is to visit your PCP and get an appointment for a hand surgeon. First conservative treatment will be tried which is basically injecting a steroid in the sheath to bring down the inflammation. If that does not resolve this, then A1 pulley is incised under local anesthesia as an office procedure, this can be done per cutaenously (minimally invasive) as well as by open technique. Your Surgeon will be in a better position to discuss your options with you after having examined the thumb.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.