Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Doctor I have been on lexapro years for

Customer Question

Hi doctor
I have been on lexapro for several years for minor anxiety however on Sept 2015 last year i went through major anxiety syndrome and i was given ativan and i wish i never took anyways i took it and abused then stopped it cold turkey and hell broke loose on me so i went to a doctor for severe panic attacks massive headaches and anxiety and gave 20mg of aropax and again I wish i never took it although i felt better but with daily headaches and feeling miserable and I decided to taper of it after 4 months started on half a tablet but i had increased brain zaps and severe headaches so I couldn't take it anymore and started lexapro 20mg this is my third day off paxil and second day on lexapro and so far so good but am very nervous side effects will come in bulk so my question is if i am doing the right thing or not? Also what started my anxiety is a stupid stupid stupid mistake i did in September last year i gave unprotected oral to a female and she gave me too and tested six times hiv negative from week 6 and week 26 is that 100000% or not?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ...Thank you for the question ...First thing clear in mind that if you have been tested negative for HIV from 6 week to 26 weeks , it is sure that you have no HIV , So keep HIV out of your mind .Unless and until you will not throw HIV out of mind your anxiety and depressive behavior will trigger time to time .Paxil and Lexapro both are antidepressants but belong to different groups and can be used in cases where single pill is unable to control anxiety/depression .So continue it .Relax , do exercise , adopt healthy life style .Good luck .Please rate my answer as good service .Thanks .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plz i need a different doctor i am happy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant i am not happy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And by the way paxil and lexapro belong to the same group mate both are ssri so u cant be a doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need a response asap plz
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Love. I will be glad to assist you. The other expert is correct that the tests that you have had are reliable in excluding the diagnosis of HIV. The current generation of HIV tests are very sensitive, and there has never been a documented case of HIV that would not have been detected by this period of time. As for the anxiety, there is no single correct answer. You are correct that the Aropax/paxil and Lexapro are both SSRIs. The reason for changing to the Lexapro is that it is only the form of the drug that is active, so has less side effects. Organic compounds exist in two mirror forms, which are referred to as right or left handed. Usually, only one of these forms is providing benefit, but both form can cause side effects. The Lexapro has only the form that provides benefit. Of course, there is no drug that never has side effects, but the Lexapro is usually better tolerated. Therefore, it is reasonable to continue the Lexapro. If the Lexapro is not effective or causes side effects, then it would be better to change to a drug from a different class, such as an SNRI, e.g., venlafaxine. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two things was 3 months enough to conclude i am 100% hiv negativeAlso will i have withdrawal symptoms from paxil or no because am taking lexapro
Actually, yes, with the current generation of HIV tests, 3 months was enough to conclude that you are HIV negative from this encounter. But since you tested for 26 weeks, you did 6 months of testing, which would have been adequate even with the previous generation of HIV tests. Typically, there is no withdrawal when switching from one SSRI to another at similar strengths. If you were taking the maximum dose of Paxil (60 mg) and then changed to a starting dose of Lexapro, there could be an issue, but since you were taking the 20 mg strength, this would not be an issue.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it make a difference if my last hiv test was at 25.34 weeks?My brain zaps have disappeared but bad headaches especially tension in my forehead n i am taking nurofen but not effective unfortunately plz advise
No, because it is still long past the 3 months that would be conclusive, as we discussed above. But even with the previous generation of tests, a test at 25.34 weeks would be adequate for the 6 month test. There are only limited pain medicines available over the counter, and if one medicine is not effective, it is fine to use a different medicine, such as paracetamol/acetaminophen. It also would be fine to use two medicines together that work by different mechanisms, such as combining Nurofen and paracetamol/acetaminophen. There are many other stronger options available by prescription, but you would need to be seen by your doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks so much
You are most welcome. If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.