Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My dad is 72. He was recently diagnosed with ttp. He's doing

Customer Question

My dad is 72. He was recently diagnosed with ttp. He's doing well now but he is having low blood pressure150/54. 150/50. 133/63. Should I be concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Is he having any symptoms?Does he take any medicines other than the blood pressure medicines?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back. Generally speaking, a low blood pressure does not require quick attention if there are no associated symptoms. So, there would be no reason for immediate concern if he is not having any symptoms. On the other hand, if he is having symptoms, such as lightheadedness or dizziness, associated with this blood pressure, that would be more of a concern. And the level of concern would be directly related to the severity of the symptoms. So, if he is having severe lightheadedness or dizziness, it would be appropriate for him to be seen urgently. Even if he does not have symptoms, it is appropriate to consider lifestyle changes and medication adjustment to try to help long-term. The pri***** *****festyle change would be drinking a good amount of fluids to assure that he remains well hydrated. Medication adjustment would certainly involve the blood pressure medicines, but may also need to include any medicines that he is taking for other medical problems, which is why I asked about other medicines. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.