Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I was told I have a bakers cyst behind right knee that has

Customer Question

I was told I have a bakers cyst behind right knee that has burst. I can't put pressure on it or walk very good. Went to er has a sonogram and x Ray. Do I still need a m r I or to do anything else? How long will it be till I can walk?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two? I'm trying to find the right Doctor for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: I heard a loud noise then the pain got worse like a snap or break. That is when I went to er
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Usually, an ultrasound is able to provide sufficient imaging to diagnose a ruptured Baker's cyst. If so, an MRI is not necessary for decisions regarding care and management of the Baker's cyst. However, a Baker's cyst develops because of inflammation in the knee, and if there is any question about the condition of the knee, it may be necessary to obtain an MRI to image the internal structures of the knee. Management of the ruptured Baker's cyst is usually by conservative management, including interventions to control swelling, such as ice and compression of the leg and knee, e.g. with an ACE bandage, along with oral anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If there is significant inflammation in the knee joint, then the doctor may decide to inject steroids into the knee, but this is usually not necessary. If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at