Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am having an endoscopy at 7:30 AM EST and I have anxiety/panic

Customer Question

I am having an endoscopy at 7:30 AM EST and I have anxiety/panic symptoms now. Can I take a xanax?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I am in menopause and wake with anxiety each morning. I have a prescription for xanax and am instructed to take .5mg before bed, which I did last night and .25mg in the AM when I wake up.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, it would be OK to take a Xanax now as it has been prescribed. However, it is critical that you inform the doctor and staff that you have taken the drug. They will typically provide medicines to sedate you during the procedure, and they will need to know what is already in your system before administering any additional medicines. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.