Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

How high should blood pressure be when you go to bed to avoid

Customer Question

How high should blood pressure be when you go to bed to avoid dying in your sleep?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 6 months ago.
Normal blood pressure (BP) fluctuate within normal range, accepted to be below 140 (systolic = the upper number), below 90 (diastolic = lower number). There is no magic number above which death is "inevitable". There are many factors that come into play including existing heart condition, diabetes, heart failure, blocked arteries, prior stokes or heart attacks to just name few. BP can be very high in many people yet they are without any symptoms and still survive. Death in sleep is statistically is unrelated to elevated BP, but mostly related to serious heart conditions. Do you have a specific number your concerns about your BP? Are you having any symptoms ? I could possibly be more helpful if I know specific concerns?
Do you have any further concerns ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would rather have a typed reply than a voice message. My understanding is that 500 mg of salt per day are necessary to maintain life support through sleep. I have consumed that amount every day for probably 10 years based on an article I read from National Library of Medicine.
You are getting a typed reply. Yes, certain amount of daily salt is required to sustain essential life functions. Generally, our body get that amount in our daily meals without the need for counting it. You have been consuming that amount since the infancy. Excessive salt intake though could lead to marked elevation in the BP.
Just a reminder to complete my star rating. Thank you