Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My wife used the scopolamine patch four years ago and has

Customer Question

My wife used the scopolamine patch four years ago and has suffered memory loss ever since. Is there any counter action for that memory loss from scopolamine?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Evidently the scopolamine resulted in brain damage that caused the memory loss. She is very sensitive to pain medications which have temporarily caused memory loss but the scopolamine has gone on for four years. Doctors do not seem to have any solution.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: That is about it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your wife and her memory loss.

how old is she

has she consulted with a neurologist to have a brain MRI scan and full neurological workup for her memory loss?

transdermal scopolamine can cause in rare cases toxic psychosis and seizures.

in some cases dementia medications like Aricept or donepezil or Namenda (memantine) can help decrease dementia and has been shown to help some patients who have Alzheimers dementia. so they may help your wife

let me know if you have questions.