Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

My son got, my son took a baseball to the throat tonight. He

Customer Question

My son got
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: my son took a baseball to the throat tonight. He is very hoarse and can only speak above a whisper. His throat hurts about 7 out of 10. There is some swelling and redness where he got hit. Should he be seen
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 8 months ago.

At this point. The major concern is his airway, and a problem called epiglottitis, which is where the epiglottis swells and can close the airway. This usually happens within the first hour or so, but if he is wheezing, you might want to take him to the ER, where they can visualized the problem with a laryngoscope, and spray some steroid spray on his vocal cords if needed to reduce swelling. If he is not wheezing, and his airway seems clear, you should continue to ice it for a few hours and look for improvement, if no improvement, he needs the ENT doctor, so make an appointment. Dr Frank.