Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

About 10 days ago I received oral sex from a friend of mine

Customer Question

Hi Dr. David,About 10 days ago I received oral sex from a friend of mine who is not my girlfriend. The encounter was brief, but I have been petrified ever since of passing an STD along to my girlfriend. Specifically, I am concerned I could have contracted herpes or HIV from this encounter. I already have HSV-1 orally, have since I was a kid, and as I understand contracting HIV or HSV-2 from oral sex is extremely rare. Should I be concerned about this, or is this just my anxiety/guilt running away with my mind? What are the risks associated with this kind of exposure and should I be tested because of it?Thanks for your help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if she had HIV, contracting HIV from her from oral sex the chances are about 1 in 10,000 odds. super low risl

herpes from the mouth would most likely be HSV-1 type already which you have so no worries there.

you don't really need to worry about HIV

if you got HIV blood test, I bet they would be negative.

it sounds like you are worried and feel guilty about it.

you can read about the risks here

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm#tab1

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so do you think this risk alone medically warrants an HIV test?Also, even though I can't get HSV-1 genitally, would you be concerned about HSV-2?Finally, two pictures are attached. I noticed this spot yesterday, it has since calmed down and is less red and was never really itchy or painful. Does this suggest herpes?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no, I don't think this risk is enough for you to get HIV testing.

HSV is usually spread through genital gential contact.

no, it is not herpes

herpes causes painful ulcers in the genital area.

this is not a painful ulcer.

that looks like a pimple or from a blocked skin pore.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the risk of HSV-2 from oral is small, correct?Also, I've had a sore throat and been stuffed up the past couple days. I'm pretty sure this is my anxiety, but thats not a symptom of HIV right? Probably more allergies?One last part, at the corner of my left eye there is a red spot that appeared in the last two days. A spot or rash like this isn't a symptom of HIV either?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, risk from HSV is very very small.

sore throat and stuffed up sounds like allergies or cold infection.

a red spot in the eye is not a sign of HIV

more likely a broken blood vessel.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so based on all this you don't think I'd put my girlfriend at any medical risk by having sex?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no, you are not putting your girlfriend at risk by having sex.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks dr david, just one more favor to ask.Attached are pics of the underside of my penis from today, near the head is where the irritation happened yesterday. Also, I noticed some redness in another spot earlier but it has since cleared up.Does anything, on any part of these pics, look concerning or abnormal to you? Any evidence of an std?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no evidence of STD

the skin looks 100% normal

please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com