khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

I had a blood test done on 100 foods. On my 6 year old son.

Customer Question

I had a blood test done on 100 foods. On my 6 year old son. The list came back and showed intolerances. Under severe none and the it goes down moderate and mild and lists just a handful of foods.
Is a food intolerance blood test as accurate or same as a skin prick test? And would a food intolerance test be the same as an allergy test?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.

A skin prick test is much more accurate than the blood test.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay but how can a blood test reveal absolutely no intolerance but let's say the skin prick test showes up. I researched and both can be inaccurate. The skin could show reaction but when eaten the person can be fine.Is it possible to have absolutely no intolerance shown on the blood test, but the person have a food allergy to that food?

Skin testing for food-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE) is used only in the diagnosis of IgE-mediated food allergies. Skin testing is more sensitive than in vitro testing (blood tests) in many cases. It should be performed by an allergy specialist because of both the risk of anaphylaxis and the skill required for proper interpretation. A positive skin test to a particular food only indicates the possibility that the patient has true allergy to that food. The specificity of skin testing for foods varies from 50 to 95 percent, depending upon the food in question and the patient's probability of having allergy. Further tests or food challenges are usually needed to confirm that the patient is truly reactive to the food upon ingestion. In contrast, a negative skin test result indicates the absence of an IgE-mediated allergy upon subsequent challenge with a 90 to 95 percent predictive accuracy. Further testing or challenge is sometimes indicated.