Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Several years ago I was in the hospital leg infection, it

Customer Question

Several years ago I was in the hospital for a leg infection, it was cured and I was fine until about 9-10 months afterwards, one evening I had a fever, the usual, etc. however the next evening after the fever, I had severe leg cramps in both legs from the toes on upwards. The next morning it was gone, my legs were a little weak but ok. Within two days from that I could barely walk. I told my doctors and they didnt know. They check for blood clots, etc. So now here it is years later, I can only walk short distances, or stand for just a minute or three before the legs start to hurt and get weak, practically crippling, so I quickly find a place to sit. I tried exercises, losing weight etc but it remains the same. If I take 2 Ibuprophen in the morning, it helps with the severe pains when I try to walk but doesnt extend the time I can stand/walk, nor alleviate the pain the comes when I over do my very limited time. Can anyone help at all? I got an MRI but the doctor didnt talk about them with me, other than something about some degenerative lower back and left
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the details.

The doctors are labeling this as degenerative disc disease which dissolves the disc between the vertebra and causes them to compress the nerves exiting in between them. An MRI of the lower back will clearly define this condition and can confirm the diagnosis, so please do discuss the MRI findings with your doctor or at least get the report and we can discuss it here.

One thing that comes to my mind is arterial insufficiency. This happens when the arteries supplying the lower limbs get narrowed due to atherosclerosis (plaque deposition). This causes claudication pain, a pain that occurs after a time while walking or doing any activity involving the muscles of the leg. The distance which one can walk without pain is called the claudication distance, and this distance slowly decreases over time, till a time that the arterial insufficiency is so much that it causes rest pain, that is pain even at rest.

This can be confirmed on a CT Angiography. And the treatment depends on the percentage of the lumen blocked.

So, if this is degenerative disc disease, you should ask your PCP for a referral to the Neurosurgeon, in case this is arterial insufficiency, you should ask to see a Vascular Surgeon.

Let me know if you have any other queries about this.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.