Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

This is the 4th evening that I have severe stomach cramps

Customer Question

This is the 4th evening that I have severe stomach cramps that radiate around to both sides of my back - almost like contractions with the pain easing and then coming in stronger. This pain and discomfort only start up
In the evening and go on for hours, but I have been able to finally fall asleep and do so comfortably. Today, I had no pain or discomfort until around 4:00. I have had watery diarreah since then. I am also feeling a bit nauseous. I am confused As to why this only comes on in the evening? Please help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

This can be bowel infection, or, small bowel bowel overgrowth.

Irritable bowel syndrome can act like this, and is more likely when occurring only later in the day.

Infection would be all day.

Parasites can act like this as well.

Inflammatory bowel disease can act like this.

So can diverticulosis/itis

You need an exam, and a stool analysis.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.