Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I have just completed 5 months of strong chemotherapy (taxol

Customer Question

I have just completed 5 months of strong chemotherapy (taxol and carboplatin). Although I received neulasta, I basically have no immune system. During the chemo I developed a fingernail fungus which my oncologist said was not terribly unusual. Now, however, iy's still there and seems to have spread into the fingers themselves which have become quite red and painful. I need to know what to do for this or even what kind of doctor to see and I certainly don't want it to spread further. Can you help me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 months ago.

It depends on what the fungus is.

See an infectious disease doctor.

This is a higher level than a dermatologist.

That is what you need at this point.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.